The Yorkshire Hussars
also known as the Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Hussars
The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908. It was headquartered in York, with the squadrons being headquartered as shown below and under command of the Yorkshire Mounted Brigade.
A Sqn: Leeds (with a drill station at Ilkley)
B Sqn: York (Bedale, Thirsk, Helmsley and Malton)
C Sqn: Knaresborough (Harrogate, Bradford, Easingwold and Ripon)
D Sqn: Middlesbrough (Scarborough).
1/1st Yorkshire Hussars
- April 1915: regiment was split up:
- HQ and A Squadron joined 50th (Northumbrian) Division. Landed at Le Havre on 18 April 1915;
- B Squadron joined 46th (North Midland) Division. Landed at Le Havre on 28 February 1915;
- C Squadron joined 49th (West Riding) Division. Landed at Le Havre on 16 April1915;
- D Squadron was dissolved and men dispersed to other squadrons;
- 10 May 1916 : regiment reformed and became XVII Corps Cavalry Regiment.
- 26 August 1917 : regiment was dismounted and sent to Etaples for infantry training.
- 13 November 1917 : 400 men were absorbed into 9th (Service) Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment, which now adopted the title 9th (Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry) Battalion.
2/1st Yorkshire Hussars
- Formed in September 1914 as a "second line" (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st. Came under orders of the 2/1st Yorkshire Mounted Brigade.
- March 1916 : by now in Beverley area, brigade was redesignated 18th Mounted Brigade.
- July 1916 : converted into a cyclist unit under 11th Cyclist Brigade.
- November 1916 : by now in Bridlington area, brigade retitled as 7th Cyclist Brigade.
- March 1917 : moved to Driffield, going on in July to Barmston and at year's end to Bridlington.
- April 1918 : brigade moved to Ireland, with regiment at Fermoy and Fethard to end of war.
3/1st Yorkshire Hussars
- Formed in 1915 as a "third line" (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st). Affiliated to 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at York.
- February 1917 : absorbed into 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.
- Early 1918 : when 1/1st became infantry, 3/1st was detached from Reserve Cavalry and the men transferred to 5th Reserve Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment at Rugeley.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Yorkshire Hussars issued numbers from the block 330001-3350000. Corps of Hussars.