The Yorkshire Dragoons

also known as the Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons

The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908. It was headquartered in Doncaster, with the squadrons being headquartered as shown below, and under command of the Yorkshire Mounted Brigade.

A Sqn: Sheffield (with a drill station at Rotherham)
B Sqn: Wakefield (Dewbury and Pontefract)
C Sqn: Doncaster (Barnsley and Goole)
D Sqn: Huddersfield (Halifax).

1/1st Yorkshire Dragoons

  • June 1915: regiment was split up:
    • HQ and B Squadron joined 37th Division on Salisbury Plain. Landed at Le Havre on 1 August 1915;
    • A Squadron joined 17th (Northern) Division at Winchester. Landed at Le Havre on 16 July 1915;
    • C Squadron joined 19th (Western) Division at Bulford. Landed at Le Havre on 20 July 1915. Was attached to 3rd Cavalry Division between 21 April and 9 May 1916;
    • D Squadron was dissolved and men dispersed to other squadrons.
  • 12 May 1916 : regiment reformed at Hazebrouck and became II Corps Cavalry Regiment.
  • October 1917 : became Cavalry Corps Troops.
  • 6 December 1917 : joined Lucknow Cavalry Brigade in 4th Cavary Division;
  • February 1918 : division broken up. Regiment was dismounted and converted to a cyclist battalion. On 16 March 1918 came under orders of II Corps and remained as such.

2/1st Yorkshire Dragoons

  • Formed in September 1914 as a "second line" (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st. Came under orders of the 2/1st Yorkshire Mounted Brigade.
  • March 1916 : by now in Beverley area, brigade was redesignated 18th Mounted Brigade.
  • July 1916 : converted into a cyclist unit under 11th Cyclist Brigade.
  • November 1916 : by now in Bridlington area, brigade retitled as 7th Cyclist Brigade.
  • March 1917 : moved to Barmston, going on in July to Burton Agnes.
  • April 1918 : brigade moved to Ireland, with regiment at Fermoy to end of war.

3/1st Yorkshire Dragoons

  • Formed in 1915 as a "third line" (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st). Affiliated to 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at York.
    February 1917 : absorbed into 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.

In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Yorkshire Dragoons issued numbers from the block 175001-200000. Corps of Dragoons.