The Nottinghamshire Yeomanry
also known as the South Nottinghamshire Hussars
The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered on Derby Road in Nottingham with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
- A Sqn: Bingham (with drill stations at Carlton, Plumtree and Southwell)
B Sqn: Watnall (Arnold and Eastwood)
C Sqn: Nottingham
D Sqn: Wollaton (Long Eaton)
1/1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry(South Notts. Hussars)
- August 1914 : moved to Diss (Norfolk), brigade coming under orders of 1st Mounted Division. By the end of the month the brigade had moved to South Stoke and in November went on to Norfolk.
- September 1914 : brigade transferred to 2nd Mounted Division.
- 9 April 1915 : sailed from Avonmouth for service in Egypt. On arrival at Alexandria on 24 April was dismounted.
- 18 August 1915 : landed at Suvla Bay (Gallipoli).
- December 1915 : evacuated from Gallipoli and returned Egypt.
- January 1916 : 2nd Mounted Division broken up.
- February 1916 : moved to Salonika, with brigade retitled as 7th Mounted Brigade.
- June 1917 : brigade began to return to Egypt.
- 4 July 1917 : arrived in Egypt and brigade placed under orders of Desert Mounted Corps.
- April 1918 : merged with Warwickshire Yeomanry to form B Battalion of the Machine Gun Corps.
26 May 1918 : sailed from Alexandria on "Leasowe Castle" which was torpedoed. Returned to Egypt.
18 June 1918 : sailed again, arriving Taranto (Italy) 21 June 1918. Moved by train to Etaples.
19 August 1918 : renamed as 100 Battalion MGC.
2/1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry
- Formed as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914 and spent winter at Colwick Racecourse. Moved to Ollerton on 28 February 1915.
- March 1915 : under orders of 2/1st Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Mounted Brigade.
- By June 1915 : has moved to Narford Park near Swaffham and brigade now under 2/2nd Mounted Division.
- March 1916 : formation titles changed to 9th Mounted Brigade and 3rd Mounted Division.
- July 1916 : division changed title again to 1st Mounted Division. Regiment now in 1st Mounted Brigade and had moved to Littlebourne near Canterbury. Also converted to a cyclist unit.
- November 1916 : now with 5th Cyclist Brigade, independent of a division.
- August 1917 : converted to a cyclist unit and under orders of 11th Cyclist Brigade in Cyclist Division in Canterbury (Kent) area.
3/1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry
- Formed as a Third-Line training unit at Ollerton in May 1915.
- September 1915 : moved to Derby in September 1915 and affiliated to 14th Reserve Cavalry Regiment.
- October 1916 : moved to Ireland with 14th Reserve Cavalry Regiment.
- February 1917: absorbed into 2nd Reserve Cavalry Regiment at the Curragh.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (South Notts Hussars) issued numbers from the block 280001-285000. Corps of Hussars.