The Shropshire Yeomanry
The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the Welsh Border Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered at Shrewsbury with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
- A Sqn: Shrewsbury (with drill stations at Baschurch, Pontesbury, Pulverbach and Wem)
- B Sqn: Oswestry (Whitchurch and Ellesmere)
- C Sqn: Ludlow (Craven Arms, Ross on Wye, Hereford, Leominster, Tenbury and Kington)
- D Sqn: Wellington (Much Wenlock, Shifnal, Market Drayton, Newport and Bridgnorth).
1/1st Shropshire Yeomanry
1914 : moved to Oswestry after mobilising, but by 4 september had moved to Flixton (Suffolk) where brigade came under orders of 1st Mounted Division. The brigade then moved to the Lowestoft area but returned to Flixton in early 1915. In August 1915 it moved on to Benacre and on 21 October to Gorleston.
- November 1915 : dismounted.
- 4 March 1916 : sailed to Egypt on the "Arcadian" from Devonport. On arrival the brigade merged with South Wales Mounted Brigade and formed the 4th Dismounted Brigade.
- 2 March
1917 : merged with 1/1st Cheshire Yeomanry to form the
10th (Shropshire & Cheshire Yeomanry) Battalion, the King's Shropshire Light Infantry and came under orders of 231st Brigade in 74th (Yeomanry ) Division.
- Moved to France in May 1918.
C Squadron leaves Ludlow on 8 August 1914. Photo courtesy of the Shropshire Regimental Museum and "Discovering Shropshire's History" website
2/1st Shropshire Yeomanry
as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914. Moved to Northumberland, coming under orders of 2/1st Welsh Border Mounted Brigade. Brigade came under orders of 2nd Northumbrian Division.
- April 1916 : moved to East Anglia, brigade coming under 1st Mounted Division and being renamed 17th Mounted Brigade. Moved to Morpeth, back in
- July 1916 : converted to a cyclist unit under orders of 10th Cyclist Brigade. In March 1917 brigade renamed as 6th Cyclist Brigade. Still in Northumberland.
- March 1917 : by now at Newbiggin, moving on to Woodhorn until end of year.
- Early 1918 : moved to Ireland and stationed at the Curragh
where it then remained.
3/1st Shropshire Yeomanry
as a Third-Line training unit around May 1915. Appears to have been at Acton Park, Wrexham, by June.
- Summer 1916: dismounted and attached to 3rd-Line groups of the West Lancashire Division at Oswestry. Drafts of men are known to have gone to the 4th Cheshire Regiment and 4th King's Shropshire Light Infantry in period August to December 1916.
- February 1917: disbanded, with some men going to 2/1st Shropshire Yeomanry and others to 4th Reserve Battalion of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Shropshire Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 160001-165000. Corps of Dragoons.