The Scottish Horse

The 1st and 2nd Scottish Horse were formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and were independent of any brigade command, being under direct orders of Scottish Command.

1st Scottish Horse

Headquartered at Dunkeld with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:

  • A Sqn: Blair Atholl (with drill stations at Ballinluig, Pitlochry, Kirkmichael and Kinloch Rannoch)
  • B Sqn: Dunkeld (Murthly, Bankfoot, Dupplin, Perth, Cluny and Aberfeldy)
  • C Sqn: Coupar Angus (Blairgowrie, Alyth and Invergowrie)
  • D Sqn: Dunblane (Crieff, Comrie, Lochearnhead, Muthull, Dunning and Methven).

1/1st Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • August 1914 : moved to Scone after mobilising. Attached for short periods to Highland and West Riding Divisions.
  • By November 1914 : in Northumberland and under command of 1/1st Scottish Horse Mounted Brigade.
  • From January 1915 : brigade attached to 2nd Northumberland Division for work on coastal defences.
  • 17 August 1915 : dismounted and sailed on "Transylvania" from Devonport. Went via Malta and re-equipped as infantry for service at Gallipoli.
  • 2 September 1915 : landed at Suvla Bay, where brigade came under orders of 2nd Mounted Division.
  • 28 December 1915: evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt.
  • February 1916 : brigade absorbed into 1st Dismounted Brigade, which was under orders of 52nd (Lowland) Division on Suez Canal defences.
  • 1 October 1916 : became 13th (Scottish Horse Yeomanry) Battalion of the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch).

2/1st Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • Formed as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914. Moved to Kettering, coming under orders of 2/1st Scottish Horse Mounted Brigade.
  • Toward end of 1915 moved to Alford (Lincolnshire).
  • July 1916 : converted to a cyclist unit. Brigade was initially 19th Mounted Brigade but renamed 12th Cyclist Brigade and in November 1916 the 8th Cyclist Brigade..
  • Late 1917 : brigade moved to Fife, regiment going to Ladybank.
  • April 1918 : brigade moved to Ireland, regiment to Limerick where it then remained.

3/1st Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • Formed as a Third-Line training unit at Dunkeld around May 1915.
  • February 1917: disbanded, with some men going to 2/1st Scottish Horse Yeomanry and others to 4th Reserve Battalion of the Black Watch at Ripon.

2nd Scottish Horse

Headquartered at Aberdeen with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:

  • E Sqn: Elgin (with drill stations at Pluscarden, Craigellachtie, Cullen, Dallas, Dufftown, Forres, Keith and Archiestown)
  • F Sqn: Kintore (Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Ellon, Huntly, Insch, Inverurie, Monymusk, Cluny, Alford, Turiff, Fyvie, Rothie-Norman, Maud, Mintlaw, Newmachar and Bucksburn)
  • G Sqn: Aberdeen (Torphins, Aboyne, Tarland, Ballater and Braemar)
  • H Sqn: Connell (Kilchrenan, Appin, Easdale, Ardrishiag, Taynuilt, Calgary, Tiree, Craigbure, Cambeltown, Bunessan, Torloisk, Port Ellen, Port Charlotte, Bowmore and Bridgend).

1/2nd Scottish Horse Yeomanry

Service same as 1/1st Scottish Horse Yeomanry (above)

2/2nd Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • Formed as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914. Service same as 2/1st except
  • Late 1917 : brigade moved to Fife, regiment going to St Andrews.
  • April 1918 : brigade moved to Ireland, regiment to Lahinch where it then remained.

3/2nd Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • Formed as a Third-Line training unit at Dunkeld around May 1915. Service same as 3/1st Scottish Horse Yeomanry.
    .

3rd Scottish Horse

Did not exist before the war.

1/3rd Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • Formed in August 1914 and moved to join 1/1st Scottish Horse, then in Northumberland.
  • Service same as 1/1st until October 1916 when converted into 26th (Scottish Horse) Squadron, Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry); also provided a company to the Lovat's Scouts which was then forming the 10th Cameron Highlanders.

2/3rd Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • Formed as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914. Service same as 2/1st except
  • Late 1917 : brigade moved to Fife, regiment going to Cupar.
  • April 1918 : brigade moved to Ireland, regiment to Tulla where it then remained.

3/3rd Scottish Horse Yeomanry

  • Formed as a Third-Line training unit at Dunkeld around May 1915. Service same as 3/1st.

In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Scottish Horse Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 150001-160000. Corps of Dragoons.