The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Battalions of the Regular Army

1st Battalion
August 1914 : in Glasgow. Left by train for Southampton late on 13 August 1914. Next day, embarked on the SS "Caledonia" and sailed.
15 August 1914 : landed at Le Havre as Lines of Communication troops.
22 August 1914 : came under orders of 19th Infantry Brigade, which was not allocated to a Division but was an independent command at this time.
12 October 1914 : transferred with Brigade to 6th Division.
31 May 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 27th Division.
19 August 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 2nd Division.
25 November 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 33rd Division.

2nd Battalion
August 1914 : in Malta. Returned to England, landing at Southampton 22 September 1914.
22 September 1914 :came under orders of 23rd Brigade, 8th Division.
3 February 1918 : transferred to 59th Brigade in 20th (Light) Division.

3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Hamilton. A training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war. Moved in August 1914 to Nigg and in early 1918 to Invergordon as part of the Cromarty Garrison.

4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Hamilton. A training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war. Moved in August 1914 to Gourock and in April 1916 to Greenock. By 1917 it was on coastal defence work at Haddington. In June 1918 moved to Edinburgh for duty with Forth Garrison.

Battalions of the Territorial Force

1/5th Battalion
August 1914 : at 261 West Princes Street in Glasgow. Part of Scottish Rifle Brigade, Lowland Division.
November 1914 : left the Division and moved to France, landing at Le Havre 5 November 1914. Came under orders of 19th Brigade in 6th Division.
31 May 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 27th Division.
19 August 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 2nd Division.
25 November 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 33rd Division.
29 May 1916 : merged with 1/6th Bn to become 5/6th Bn.

1/6th Battalion
August 1914 : at Muirhall in Hamilton. Part of Scottish Rifle Brigade, Lowland Division.
March 1915 : left the Division and moved to France, landing at Le Havre 21 March 1915.
24 March 1915 : transferred to 23rd Brigade in 8th Division.
2 June 1915 : transferred to 154th Brigade in 51st (Highland) Division.
12 January 1916 : became Divisional Troops, training as Pioneers.
25 February 1916 : transferred to 100th Brigade, 33rd Division.
29 May 1916 : merged with 1/6th Bn to become 5/6th Bn.

1/7th Battalion
August 1914 : at Victoria Road in Glasgow. Part of Scottish Rifle Brigade, Lowland Division. Moved to Grangemouth.
11 May 1915 : formation became 156th Brigade, 52nd (Lowland) Division.
Sailed from Liverpool on 24 May 1915, going via Egypt to Gallipoli, arriving there 14 June 1915.
1 July 1915: after taking heavy casualties, temporarily merged with 1/8th Bn. Resumed identity 21 February 1916.
January 1916: moved via Mudros to Egypt.
17 April 1918 : moved with Division and landed at Marseilles for service in France.
When this battalion was formed in 1908 it drew upon the old 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers. This unit had formed the Third Lanark Football Club, which existed as a professional club until 1967 and is now resurrected as an amateur side.

1/8th Battalion
August 1914 : at 149 Cathedral Street in Glasgow. Part of Scottish Rifle Brigade, Lowland Division.
Record same as 1/7th Bn.
28 June 1918 : transferred to 103rd Brigade, 34th Division.

2/5th Battalion
Formed at Glasgow in September 1914 as a home service ("second line") unit.
January 1915 : came under orders of 195th Brigade, 65th Division. Moved to Cambusbarron by August 1915.
November 1915 : with 2/8th Bn, formed 17th Battalion.
January 1916 : absorbed the 2/8th Bn. Moved to Billericay in March 1916 and on to Terling in Essex by July 1916. Moved to Moore Park (Fermoy) in Ireland in January 1917 and a year later to Tralee.
15 May 1918 : disbanded in Ireland.

2/6th Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in September 1914 as a home service ("second line") unit.
January 1915 : came under orders of 195th Brigade in 65th Division. Moved to Cambusbarron by August 1915.
November 1915 : with 2/7th Bn, formed 18th Battalion.
January 1916 : absorbed the 2/7th Bn. Moved to Billericay in March 1916 and on to Terling in Essex by July 1916. Moved to Kilworth in Ireland in January 1917 and a year later to Galway.
15 May 1918 : disbanded in Ireland.

2/7th Battalion
Formed at Glasgow in September 1914 as a home service ("second line") unit.
January 1915 : came under orders of 195th Brigade in 65th Division. Moved to Cambusbarron by August 1915.
November 1915 : with 2/6th Bn, formed 18th Battalion.
January 1916 : absorbed by 2/6th Bn.

2/8th Battalion
Formed at Glasgow in September 1914 as a home service ("second line") unit.
January 1915 : came under orders of 195th Brigade, 65th Division. Moved to Cambusbarron by August 1915.
November 1915 : with 2/8th Bn, formed 17th Battalion.
January 1916 : absorbed by 2/5th Bn.

3/5th Battalion
Formed in Glasgow in November 1914 as depot/training unit. Moved to Ripon by November 1915.
8 April 1916 : became 5th Reserve Battalion.
1 September 1916 : absorbed the 6th, 7th and 8th Reserve Bns at Catterick. Moved to Glashield and Hawick but by December 1917 was at Leven for duty with Forth Garrison.

3/6th, 3/7th and 3/8th Battalions
3/6th formed in Hamilton in April 1915 and the others at Glasgow in March 1915 as depot/training units. Moved to Ripon by November 1915.
8 April 1916 : became 6th, 7th and 8th Reserve Battalions and moved to Catterick.
1 September 1916 : all absorbed by 5th Reserve Bn.

15th Battalion
Formed on 1 January 1917 from what had previously been the 10th Provisional Battalion of the TF. It had been formed in June 1915 from "Home Service only" personnel and was based at Deal in Kent. Had a brief spell at Walmer in early 1918.

17th and 18th Battalions
The short-lived temporary names of the merged 2/5th & 2/8th and 2/6th & 2/7th Battalions, between November 1915 and January 1916.

Battalions of the New Armies

9th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under orders of 28th Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division. Moved to Bordon and in March 1915 went on to Bramshott.
Landed at Boulogne 12 May 1915.
6 May 1916 : transferred to 27th Brigade in same Division.
5 February 1918 : transferred to 43rd Brigade in 14th (Light) Division.
21 April 1918 : transferred to South African Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.
12 September 1918 : transferred to 28th Brigade in same Division.

10th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in September 1914 as part of K2 and came under orders of 46th Brigade in 15th (Scottish) Division. Moved to Bordon and in February 1915 went into billets at Winchester. Moved to Park House and Chisledon Camps (Salisbury Plain) in April 1915.
Landed at Boulogne 10 July 1915.

11th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in October 1914 as part of K3 and came under orders of 77th Brigade in 26th Division. Moved to Codford St Mary but by December 1914 was in billets in Bristol. Moved to Warminster in February 1915 and Sutton Veny in April.
Landed at Boulogne on 20 September 1915 but sailed for Salonika in November 1915.

12th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed at Nigg in October 1914 as a Service Battalion of K4 and came under orders of 101st Brigade, original 34th Division. Moved to Tain in February 1915.
10 April 1915 : became a Reserve Battalion and moved to Stobs in May 1915. By December it had moved to Catterick.
1 September 1916 : converted into 56th Training Reserve Battalion of 12th Reserve Brigade at Kinghorn.

13th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in July 1915 as a Bantam Battalion.
September 1915 : came under orders of 120th Brigade in 40th Division at Aldershot.
February 1916 : absorbed by 14th Bn, the Highland Light Infantry.

Other Battalions

14th (Labour) Battalion
Formed in June 1916 and moved to France next month. Onto work on Lines of Communication.
April 1917 : became Nos 3 and 4 Companies of the Labour Corps.

16th and 17th (Transport Workers) Battalions
Formed in Paisley in December 1916 and Hamilton in February 1917.
Both remained on duty at ports in the UK throughout the war. 17th Bn moved to Motherwell in 1918.
There may have been a 19th (Transport Workers) Battalion and a 20th was also authorised in November 1918 but no records of these units exist.

18th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Aldershot on 1 June 1918 and moved to Deal. On the 20 June it absorbed the cadre of the 6/7th Royal Scots Fusiliers.
2 July 1918 : attached to the newly rebuilt 48th Brigade in 16th Division for service in France. Landed 31 July 1918.

1st Garrison Battalion
Formed in Hamilton in February 1916. Moved to India in the same month, where it remained.