The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry
also known as the Prince of Wales's Own Royal Regiment
The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the 1st South Western Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered at The Butts on London Road in Chippenham with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Sqn: Warminster (with drill stations at Longbridge Deverell, Whiteparish, Salisbury, Amesbury and Trowbridge)
B Sqn: Chirton (Melksham, Marlborough, Devizes, Lavington and Urchfont)
C Sqn: Chippenham (Corsham, Wootton Bassett, Malmesbury, Calne, Purton and Aston Keynes)
D Sqn: Swindon
1/1st Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry
1914 : moved with the brigade to Sussex and there split up.
- HQ and D Sqn joined 38th (Welsh) Division at Winchester in early 1915 and landed at Le Havre on 4 February 1915; attached to 1st Cavalry Division from 2 to 17 April 1916; left division and became III Corps Cavalry Regiment from 1 to 20 May 1916; on 21 May 1916 formed XV Corps Cavalry Regiment with A and B Sqns of the South Irish Horse.
- A Sqn joined 40th Division at Aldershot in 1915 and landed at Le Havre on 3 June 1916; 21 June 1916 left division and became IX Corps Cavalry Regiment; on 19 November 1916 moved to rejoin RHQ and D Sqn as XV Corps Cavalry Regiment.
- B Sqn joined 41st Division in November 1915 and landed at Le Havre on 6 May 1916; left division and attcehd to 2nd cavalry Division between 1 and 20 June 1916; moved to join A Sqn as IX Corps Cavalry Regiment on 22 June 1916 and on 25 November 1916 moved to rejoin RHQ and D Sqn as XV Corps Cavalry Regiment.
- 3 September 1917 : left XV Corps, dismounted and moved to No 3 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen.
- 26 September 1917 : all 14 officers and 232 men left to join 6th Battalion, the Wiltshire Regiment, which was renamed as the 6th (Wiltshire Yeomanry) Battalion.
2/1st Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry
- Formed in September 1914 as a "second line" (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st.
- Moved to Calne on May 1915, coming under orders of 2/1st South Western Mounted Brigade. Moved in September 1915 to Canterbury.
- March 1916 : brigade joined 4th Mounted Division in Colchester area and renamed as 15th Mounted Brigade.
- July 1916 : converted to a cyclist unit (brigade and division renamed as 6th Cyclist Brigade and 2nd Cyclist Division).
- November 1916 : regiment merged with 2/1st North Somerset Yeomanry to form 10th (Wiltshire and North Somerset) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment, under 4th Cyclist Brigade at Ipswich.
- March 1917 : resumed identity but remained in brigade. Moved in July to Wivenhoe, then on to Frinton and Clacton.
- Early 1918 : moved to Ireland and remained in Dublin area.
3/1st Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry
- Formed as a "third line" (training, draft-supplying reserve for the 1/1st and 2/1st) around May 1915.
- Summer 1916 : affiliated to 11th Reserve Cavalry Regiment.
- February 1917 : absorbed into 3rd Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Aldershot.
- When 1/1st converted to infantry (see above) men were transferred to 4th Reserve Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Wiltshire Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 320001-325000. Corps of Hussars.