LXXXVIII Brigade

This unit was formed as part of the raising of the Second New Army, K2. It is also sometimes shown as 88 Brigade RFA.

History

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 274, 275 and 276 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 19th (Western) Division. The brigade then remained with the division throughout the rest of the war: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D Batteries.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 18 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 19th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 89 Brigade as its C Battery. It was replaced by the arrival of D (Howitzer) Battery from 89 Brigade, which was then renamed as 89 Brigade's D (Howitzer) Battery.
    • On 8 September 1916 the four-gun 18-pounder batteries were made up to six guns each by a reorganisation. A section left A Battery to go to B Battery; A Battery was then brought up to six guns by the arrival of the former C Battery from 89 Brigade; a section of A Battery of 89 Brigade arrived to bring C Battery up to six guns.
    • A section from C (Howitzer) Battery joined from 86 Brigade on 28 January 1917, making D (Howitzer) Battery up to six howitzers.

Can't find what you are looking for? Run into a brick wall? Can't understand military documents? Benefit from the Long, Long Trail's professional service, fourteeneighteen|research.
fourteeneighteen logo

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Naval & Military Press, the home of military history books on the web.

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Battle Honours, the UK’s leading company offering battlefield tours, with the ability and experience to arrange tours for groups of all sizes.
Battle Honours logo

Visit the Long, Long Trail's bookstore: The Dugout