LXXXV (Howitzer) Brigade

This unit was formed as part of the raising of the Second New Army, K2. It is also sometimes shown as 85 Brigade RFA.

History

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 265, 266 and 267 (Howitzer) Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 18th (Eastern) Division. The brigade then remained with the division until December 1916: you can see details of its battles and movements on the page describing the division.
    • On 16 February 1915 the three six-howitzer batteries were reorganised to become four four-howitzer batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • B (Howitzer) Battery left on 8 February 1916, joining 278 Brigade and becoming its C (Howitzer) Battery.
    • The Brigade Ammunition Column left on 17 May 1916 to merge with others in the divisional artillery to form the 18th Divisional Ammunition Column.
    • On 24 May 1916 A, C and D (Howitzer) Batteries all left the brigade and joined 84, 82 and 83 Brigades respectively and became those brigade's D (Howitzer) Batteries. They were replaced by the D Batteries arriving from 82, 83 and 84 Brigades which became this brigade's new A, B and C Batteries.
    • The brigade was broken up on 3 December 1916 and its guns used to bring other batteries up to six guns each. A Battery and a section of C Battery went to 82 Brigade; B and the other section of C Battery went to 83 Brigade.

Can't find what you are looking for? Run into a brick wall? Can't understand military documents? Benefit from the Long, Long Trail's professional service, fourteeneighteen|research.
fourteeneighteen logo

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Naval & Military Press, the home of military history books on the web.

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Battle Honours, the UK’s leading company offering battlefield tours, with the ability and experience to arrange tours for groups of all sizes.
Battle Honours logo

Visit the Long, Long Trail's bookstore: The Dugout