LXIV Brigade

This unit was formed as part of the raising of the First New Army, K1. It is also sometimes shown as 64 Brigade RFA.

History

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 202, 203 and 204 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 12th (Eastern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
    • On 25 May 1916 D Battery left to join 65 Brigade which was also under command of 12th (Eastern) Division.
    • The brigade was reorganised on 30 August 1916. C Battery was broken up, with a section going to each of A and B Batteries to bring them up to six guns each.
    • On 11 October 1916 D (Howitzer) Battery joined from 63 Brigade RFA and became D (Howitzer) Battery of this brigade.
    • A new C (Howitzer) Battery joined on 7 December 1916.
  • The brigade left 12th (Eastern) Division and became an Army Brigade on 6 January 1917.
    • C (Howitzer) Battery left at this time. It was broken up and two-gun sections went to D (Howitzer) Batteries of 62 and 63 Brigades to bring them up to six guns each.
    • B Battery of 158 Brigade RFA (in 35th Division) joined and became the new C Battery.
    • A section of two guns from D (Howitzer) Battery of 158 Brigade also joined and brought D (Howitzer) battery up to six guns.

Can't find what you are looking for? Run into a brick wall? Can't understand military documents? Benefit from the Long, Long Trail's professional service, fourteeneighteen|research.
fourteeneighteen logo

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Naval & Military Press, the home of military history books on the web.

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Battle Honours, the UK’s leading company offering battlefield tours, with the ability and experience to arrange tours for groups of all sizes.
Battle Honours logo

Visit the Long, Long Trail's bookstore: The Dugout