LVIII Brigade

This unit was formed as part of the raising of the First New Army, K1. It is also sometimes shown as 58 Brigade RFA.

History

  • This brigade was originally comprised of numbers 184, 185 and 186 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 11th (Northern) Division.
    • In February 1915 the three six-gun batteries were reorganised to become four four-gun batteries and were titled as A, B, C and D.
  • The brigade sailed for operations in the Mediterranean, and arrived at Anzac Beach for operations at Gallipoli on 9 August 1915. A week later it was moved to the Left Flank Artllery in the Suvla Bay area and came under tempoary command of the 10th (Irish) Division. It left Gallipoli on 18 December 1915 and reached Alexandria in Egypt on 2 January 1916.
    • D Battery left to join 133 Brigade RFA on 26 April 1916.
    • On 15 June 1916 a howitzer battery joined from 118 Brigade RFA and became D Battery.
    • In late November 1916, 133 Brigade RFA was broken up and on 29 November all six guns from its A Battery (the former D Battery of 58 Brigade) came back to 58 Brigade and a two-gun section was added to each of A, B, and C Batteries.
    • On 24 January 1917 a section of two howitzers joined from D Battery of 60 Brigade RFA and was added to 58 Brigade's D Battery.
  • The brigade remained with 11th (Northern) Division throughout the war and saw service in Galipoli, Egypt and France.

Can't find what you are looking for? Run into a brick wall? Can't understand military documents? Benefit from the Long, Long Trail's professional service, fourteeneighteen|research.
fourteeneighteen logo

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Naval & Military Press, the home of military history books on the web.

The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Battle Honours, the UK’s leading company offering battlefield tours, with the ability and experience to arrange tours for groups of all sizes.
Battle Honours logo

Visit the Long, Long Trail's bookstore: The Dugout