The Nottinghamshire Yeomanry
also known as the Sherwood Rangers
The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered at Retford with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Sqn: Newark (with drill stations at utton-on-Trenat and Collingham)
B Sqn: Mansfield (Chesterfield, Alfreton, Pinxton and Kirkby-in-Ashfield)
C Sqn: Worksop (Clumber and Normanton)
D Sqn: Retford (Ranskill, Trent Port, Melton Ross and Misterton)
A group of the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry in England: second row, seated centre sitting up with a cigarette is in his mouth is Tom Stow. Thanks to Great War Forum member Bingo794 for this photograph.
1/1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry
This is the original, 'first line' regiment
August 1914 : moved to Diss (Norfolk), brigade coming under orders of 1st Mounted Division. By the end of the month the brigade had moved to South Stoke and in November went on to Holt.
September 1914 : brigade transferred to 2nd Mounted Division.
April 1915 : sailed from Avonmouth for service in Egypt. On arrival was dismounted.
18 August 1915 : landed at Suvla Bay (Gallipoli).
December 1915 : evacuated from Gallipoli and returned Egypt.
January 1916 : 2nd Mounted Division broken up.
February 1916 : moved to Salonika, with brigade retitled as 7th Mounted Brigade.
June 1917 : brigade began to return to Egypt but ship carrying troops was torpedoed and the men returned to Mudros.
4 July 1917 : arrived in Egypt and brigade placed under orders of Desert Mounted Corps.
May 1918 : brigade placed under new 2nd Mounted Division.
July 1918 : brigade renamed as 14th Cavalry Brigade and division became 5th Cavalry Division.
as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914.
March 1915 : under orders of 2/1st Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Mounted Brigade.
By June 1915 : has moved to King's Lynn and brigade now under 2/2nd Mounted Division.
March 1916 : formation titles changed to 9th Mounted Brigade and 3rd Mounted Division.
July 1916 : division changed title again to 1st Mounted Division. Regiment now in 1st Mounted Brigade and had moved to Thorndon Park near Brentwood (Essex).
August 1917 : converted to a cyclist unit and under orders of 11th Cyclist Brigade in Cyclist Division in Canterbury (Kent) area.
as a Third-Line training unit in 1915.
Summer 1916 : affiliated to 1st Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Aldershot.
Early 1917: absorbed into 3rd Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Aldershot.
Men who served with the Yeomanry can be researched in exactly the same way as, for example, infantrymen.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers) issued numbers from the block 275001-280000. Corps of Hussars.