The Northamptonshire Yeomanry
The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and attached for training to the Eastern Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered at Clare Street in Northampton with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Sqn: Northampton (and drill station at Cottesbrooke)
B Sqn: Peterborough (Oundle, Glinton and Thrapston)
C Sqn: Kettering (Wellingborough, Rushden and Clipston)
D Squadron: Daventry (Weedon, Blisworth, Blakesley and West Haddon)
1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry
This is the original, 'first line' regiment
October 1914: moved to Winchester and came under orders of 8th Division.
4 November 1914 : landed in France.
April 1915: left division and split up:
- Regimental HQ and B Squadron: 14 April 1915 placed under orders of 6th Division.
- A Squadron: 13 April 1915 placed under orders of 4th Division.
- C Squadron: 12 April 1915 placed under orders of 5th Division.
9 May 1916 : Regimental HQ and B Squadron left division and became VI Corps Cavalry Regiment. They were joined by A and C Squadrons two days later.
Summer 1917 : left corps, possibly attached to XV Corps.
10 November 1917: sailed for Italy and became XIV Corps Cavalry Regiment.
18 April 1918 : corps became British GHQ in Italy, so regiment remained attached but were now GHQ rather than Corps troops.
9 October 1918 : XIV Corps reformed and regiment joined it, becoming XIV Corps Cavalry Regiment again.
as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914 but its history thereafter is sketchy.
November 1915 : under orders of 59th (2nd North Midland) Division near St Albans.
17 April 1916 : began to be split up.
- Regimental HQ and A Squadron placed under orders of 69th Division in Yorkshire.
- one squadron went to 67th Division in Kent from October 1916.
- one went to France in winter 1916-17 and was absorbed into the Tank Corps around August 1917.
- one of the home squadrons was absorbed into 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth in March 1917 and the other disbanded.
as a Third-Line training unit in 1915.
Summer 1915 : affiliated to 3rd Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Canterbury.
Early 1917: absorbed into 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Northants Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 145001-150000. Corps of Dragoons.