The North Irish Horse
August 1914 : based in Belfast, the regiment was a unit of the Special Reserve. No Territorial Force regiments of the Yeomanry were established in Ireland and the North Irish Horse provided a mounted form of part-time soldiering. It was mobilised on declaration of war but very soon split up.
A Squadron moved to France on 19 August 1914 and was attached to GHQ. On 4 January 1916, it was transferred to 55th (West Lancashire) Division and on 10 May 1916 went to VII Corps, forming the 1st North Irish Horse together with D and E Squadrons. This unit transferred to XIX Corps in July 1917 and to V Corps in September 1917. In March 1918, the unit became a Cyclist Battalion, which it then remained.
B Squadron was attached to the 59th (2nd North Midland) Division in August 1915, leaving in June 1916 to form, together with C Squadron and the Service Squadron of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, the 2nd North Irish Horse. This unit was attached to X Corps until August 1917, when broken up. The personnel went to infantry training and eventually more than 300 of them joined the 9th (Serrvice)Bn, the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
C Squadron moved to France on 22 August 1914 and was attached to GHQ. On 14 April 1915 it was transferred to 3rd Division, and in June 1916 joined B Squadron in the 2nd North Irish Horse.
D Squadron was attached to 51st (Highland) Division in early 1915, and in June 1916 joined A in the 1st North Irish Horse.
E Squadron was attached to 34th Division from early 1915, and in June 1916 joined A in the 1st North Irish Horse.
F Squadron was attached to the 33rd Division from early 1915 until April 1916. It was briefly attached to 1st Cavalry Division, 49th (West Riding) Division and 32nd Division, before joining X Corps in June 1916. It was then redesignated B Squadron in May 1916.