The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the South Wales Mounted Brigade. The predecessor was the Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry which saw service in the Boer War. It was headquartered at Welshpool with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Sqn: Llanfyllin (and drill stations at Meifod, Llanrhaiadr, Llanfihangel, Llangewyn, Trefonen, Llanfair and Llansiantffraid)
B Sqn: Welshpool (Guilsfield, Castle Ceireinion, Four Crosses, Chirbury, Berriew, Trewern and Forden)
C Sqn: Newtown (Church Stoke, Caersws, New Mills, Llanbrynmair, Montgomery, Trefeglwys, Bettws, Cemmaes Road, Dolfor and Llangurig)
D Squadron: Llandrindod Wells (LLanidloes, Builth Wells, Rhayader, Llanbister, Knighton and Hay on Wye)
This is the original, 'first line' regiment
August 1914 : moved with the brigade to Hereford.
29 August 1914 : moved to Thetford in Norfolk, later going on to Blickling.
Brigade came under command of 1st Mounted Division.
By September 1915 was at Holt and in October moved to Cromer.
November 1915 : dismounted.
4 March 1916 : sailed from Devonport for service in Middle East.
20 March 1916 : brigade joined with Welsh Border Mounted Brigade to form 4th Dismounted Brigade, under command of Western Frontier Force.
4 March 1917 : merged with 1/1st Welsh Horse to form 25th (Montgomery & Welsh Horse Yeomanry) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Placed under command of 231st Brigade in 74th (Yeomanry) Division.
May 1918 : moved with division to France.
as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914 and remained at home throughout the war.
July 1915 : moved to Dorchester and placed under orders of 2/1st South WalesMounted Brigade.
September 1915 : moved with brigade to Southwold; brigade now under orders of 1st Mounted Division.
April 1916: now at Rendlesham, brigade became 4th Mounted Brigade. Absorbed 2/1st Welsh Horse.
July 1916: moved to Thorndon Park (Brentwood) and joined 2nd Mounted Brigade of new 1st Mounted Division.
October 1916: converted to a cyclist unit and with 2/1st Denibighshire Yeomanry formed 3rd (Denbigh & Montgomery) Yeomanry Cyclist Battalion, under orders of 1st Cuclist Brigade, at Worlingham.
March 1917 : resumed identity.
By November 1917 was at Gorleston and there remained.
as a Third-Line training unit in June 1915. Moved to Brecon.
Affiliated to 6th Reserve Cavalry regiment at The Curragh.
June 1916 : moved to Gobowen and then Oswestry.
Early 1917: disbanded; troops to 2/1st and 4th Resereve Bn, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 135001-140000. Corps of Dragoons.
Can't find what you are looking for? Run into a brick wall? Can't understand military documents?
Benefit from the Long, Long Trail's professional service, fourteeneighteen|research.
The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Naval & Military Press, the home of military history books on the web.
The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Battle Honours, the UK’s leading company offering battlefield tours, with the ability and experience to arrange tours for groups of all sizes.
Visit the Long, Long Trail's bookstore: The Dugout