The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Battalions of the Regular Army
August 1914 : in Aldershot. Under command of 2nd Brigade in 1st Division.
13 August 1914 : landed at Le Havre.
7 February 1918: transferred to 1st Brigade in same Division.
August 1914 : in Bangalore, India.
3 November 1914 : Landed at Tanga, German East Africa, with the 27th Indian Brigade. Moved to Mombasa on 7 November and commenced operations in East Africa.
Moved in May 1916 to South Africa, to allow for recovery from mass ill-health.
18 January 1917 : Moved to Egypt, landing at Suez.
14 April 1917: attached to 232nd Brigade in 75th Division. The Battalion was moved in rapid succession to the 233rd and 234th Brigades of the same Division, and then detached as a result of a medical board on 9 August 1917. Proceeded to Sidi Bashr and then placed onto Lines of Communication at Gaza.
27 May 1918 : Moved to France, landing Marseilles.
4 June 1918: attached to 94th Brigade in 31st Division.
28 June 1918: transferred to 101st Brigade in 34th Division.
3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Preston. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Felixstowe where it remained as part of the Harwich Garrison.
Battalions of the Territorial Force
August 1914 : in Preston. Part of North Lancashire Brigade in West Lancashire Division. Moved on 22 August 1914 to Swindon and on in November to Sevenoaks.
April 1915 : Brigade transferred to Highland Division.
4 May 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
12 May 1915 : the formation became the 154th Brigade in 51st (Highland) Division.
7 January 1916 : transferred to 164th Brigade in 55th (West Lancashire) Division.
August 1914 : in Bolton. Part of North Lancashire Brigade in West Lancashire Division. Moved in August 1914 to Chipping Sodbury and on in November to Sevenoaks.
February 1915 : left the Division and landed at le Havre. On 13 February, placed under command of 16th Brigade in 6th Division.
11 June 1915 : transferred to 151st Brigade in 50th (Northumbrian) Division.
21 December 1915 : transferred to 26th Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.
8 January 1916 : transferred to 166th Brigade in 55th (West Lancashire) Division.
4 June 1918 : transferred to 170th Brigade in 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division, absorbing 4/5th Bn.
Formed at Preston in October 1914 as a second line unit.
Moved to Ashford in September 1915 and placed under command of 170th Brigade in 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division. Moved on to Aldershot in July 1916 and nearby Blackdown in October.
8 February 1917 : landed at Le Havre.
Formed at Bolton in October 1914 as a second line unit. Record same as 1/4th Bn.
9 February 1917 : landed at Le Havre.
5 February 1918 : converted into a Pioneer Battalion to same Division.
3/4th and 3/5th Battalions
Formed at home bases May and April 1915 respectively. Moved to Kirkham in June 1915 and Blackpool in October. Went on to Oswestry in spring 1916.
8 April 1916 : became 4th and 5th Reserve Bns.
1 September 1916 : 4th Reserve Bn absorbed 5th at Oswestry. Finally moved to Dublin in April 1918.
Formed in 1915 and moved to Ashford, attached to 170th Brigade in 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division. Moved on to Aldershot in July 1916 and nearby Blackdown in October.
12 February 1917 : landed at Le Havre.
4 February 1918 : absorbed by 1/5th Bn.
1/12th Battalion (Pioneers)
Formed as a Pioneer Battalion at Lytham St. Annes in April 1915. Attached to 69th Division at Thetford between 13 May 1916 and 1 June 1916.
1 June 1916 : attached 60th (2/2nd London) Division at Sutton Veny.
22 June 1916 : landed at Le Havre.
16 November 1916 : transferred to 32nd Division.
January 1917 : left Division and moved to Salonika, rejoining 60th Division on 23 January 1917.
10 April 1918 : transferred to 74th (Yeomanry) Division.
May 1918 : moved with Division to France.
Formed at Lytham St. Annes in March 1916.
8 April 1916 : became a Reserve battalion.
1 September 1916 : absorbed by 4th Reserve Bn.
On 1 January 1917, the 42nd Provisional Bn became the 14th Bn of this regiment. It had been formed in June 1915 from Home Service personnel. Based initially at Blackpool, it moved to Witham (Essex) in January 1917 under command of 218th Brigade in 73rd Division.
Disbanded in England in December 1917.
Battalions of the New Armies
6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Preston in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under command of 38th Brigade in 13th (Western) Division. Moved initially to Tidworth and then Blackdown in February 1915.
17 June 1915 : sailed from Avonmouth, going to Gallipoli via Mudros. Landed at Anzac Cove, 4 August.
January 1916: Evacuated from Gallipoli to Egypt and thence to Mesopotamia.
7th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Preston in September 1914 as part of K2 and came under command of 56th Brigade in 19th (Western) Division. Moved to Whitchurch in December 1914.
17 July 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
10 February 1918 : disbanded in France.
8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Preston in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under command of 74th Brigade in 25th Division. Moved to billets in Boscombe in December 1914, Bournemouth in January 1915 and returned to Boscombe in March. Went on in May 1915 to Romsey and then Aldershot next month.
16 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
26 October 1915 : transferred to 7th Brigade in same Division.
16 February 1918 : disbanded at Courcelles.
9th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Preston in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under command of 74th Brigade in 25th Division. Moved to billets in Christchurch in December 1914 and Southbourne in January 1915. Went on in May 1915 to Romsey and then Aldershot next month.
26 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
21 June 1918 : formed a composite battalion with the 8th Border Regiment.
22 June 1918 : this unit now called 2nd Composite Battalion, transferred to 50th (Northumbrian) division. Left on 7 July.
12 August 1918 : disbanded in France.
10th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Preston in October 1914 as part of K3 and attached as Army Troops to 22nd Division. Moved to South Downs and Eastbourne.
April 1915 : transferred to 112th Brigade in 37th Division.
1 August 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
4 February 1918 : disbanded in France.
11th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed at Felixstowe in October 1914 as a Service battalion for K4 and came under command of 94th Brigade, original 31st Division. Moved to Chichester in March 1915.
10 April 1915 : converted into a reserve battalion. Moved in May 1915 to Billericay and then on to Seaford in September 1915.
1 September 1916 : converted into 17th Training Reserve Battalion of 4th Reserve Brigade at Seaford.
13th (Home Service) Battalion
Formed in Blackpool on 4 December 1916. Placed under command of 219th Brigade in 73rd Division. Moved next month to Danbury and on in October to Southend.
29 March 1918 : disbanded in England (although one source says August 1918).
15th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Cromer on 1 June 1918.
19 June 1918 : absorbed the 11th Bn, the King's (Liverpool Regiment) and transferred as Pioneer Bn to 14th (Light) Division, which was reforming at Brookwood.
5 July 1918: landed at Boulogne.