The 1st and 2nd Lovat's Scouts Yeomanry
These regiments were formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the Highland Mounted Brigade. They had replaced two former companies of Imperial Yeomanry which had developed from the 1900 establishment of a regiment by the 14th Lord Lovat.1st Lovat's Scouts Yeomanry
Regimental Headquarters: Beauly
A Sqn: Roy Bridge (and drill stations at Fort Augustus, Loch Laggan, Spean Bridge, Glenfinnan, Sheil Bridge and Fort William)
B Sqn: Lochmaddy, North Uist (Bayhead, Sollas, Creagorry, Clachan, Torlam and Daliburgh)
C Sqn: Skeabost, Skye (Uig, Portree, Duntulm, Staffin, Glendale, Waternish, Dunvegan and Braes)
D Squadron: Beauly (Struy, Convinth, Clunes, Beaufort, Dores, Errogie, Whitebridge and Glenurquhart)
This is the original, 'first line' regiment
August 1914 : moved with the brigade to Blairgowrie, then to Huntingdon and in November 1914 to Alford in Lincolnshire. Moved to north Norfolk in April 1915.
8 September 1915: by now dismounted, sailed from Devonport, arriving Alexandria ten days later.
26 September 1915: landed at Gallipoli; brigade under orders of 2nd Mounted Division.
December 1915: returned to Egypt.
February 1916: brigade under command of 2nd Dismounted Brigade in Western Frontier Force.
27 September 1916: with 1/2nd Lovat's Scouts and a company of 1/3rd Scottish Horse, converted into 10th (Lovat's Scouts) Battalion, the Cameron Highlanders at Cairo.
20 October 1916: landed at Salonika and under command of 82nd Brigade in 27th Division.
June 1918: left brigade and moved to France.
6 July 1918: became Line of Communication troops in France.
as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914 and remained at home throughout the war.
Under orders of 2/1st Highland Mounted Brigade. Moved to Norfolk by December 1915.
Spring 1916: converted to a cyclist unit in 1st Cyclist Brigade, near Lowestoft.
November 1916: 2/1st and 2/2nd Lovat's Scouts form 1st (Lovat's Scouts) Yeomanry Cyclist Regiment in same brigade.
March 1917: resumed original identity, still in same brigade by by now at Gorleston. Moved to Beccles by July 1917 and then remained.
Formed as a Third-Line training unit at Beauly in July 1915. Moved to Perth in June 1916 and disbanded in January 1917.
2nd Lovat's Scouts Yeomanry
Regimental Headquarters: Beauly
E Sqn: Kyle of Lochalsh (and drill stations at Armadale, Aultbea, Gleneig, Strathcarron, Dundonell, Strathcannaird, Ullapool, Achiltiebuie and Achnasheen)
F Sqn: Dornoch (Brora, Helmsdale, Scourie, Tongue, Melness, Bettyhill, Dunbeath, Latheron and Berriedale)
G Sqn: Alness (Bonar Bridge, Laird, Ardgay, Rosehall, Fearn, Edderton, Tain and Contin)
H Squadron: Inverness (Nairn, Laggan Bridge, Aviemore, Nethy Bridge, Munlochy, Cawdor, Glenferness and Tomatin).
As per their equivalents in 1st Lovat's Scouts Yeomanry.Other detachments of the Lovat's Scouts Yeomanry
The regiments also formed a number of detachments used for observation and sniping work in France from 1916 onward. They were under Corps command. These detachments were formed into Groups during 1917. No 4 Group moved to Italy as GHQ Troops in November 1917.
In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Lovat's Scouts Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 125001-135000. Corps of Dragoons.