The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Battalions of the Regular Army

1st Battalion
August 1914 : in Aldershot. Part of 6th Brigade, 2nd Division.
Landed at Le Havre 13 August 1914.
War diary extract on this site

2nd Battalion
August 1914 : in Peshawar in India. Part of 1st (Peshawar) Brigade, 1st (Peshawar) Division of Indian Army. Remained in India throughout the war. Moved to 10th Brigade in 4th (Quetta) Division December 1917.

3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Seaforth, Liverpool. A training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war.
Moved to Hightown in August 1914, went on to Pembroke Dock in 1915 and Cork in 1917.

4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Seaforth, Liverpool.
6 March 1915 : landed at Le Havre and came under orders of Sirhind Brigade, Lahore Division of Indian Corps.
10 November 1915 : transferred to 137th Brigade, 46th (North Midland) Division.
3 December 1915 : attached to 56th and 58th Brigades, 19th (Western) Division.
27 February 1916 : transferred to 98th Brigade, 33rd Division.

Battalions of the Territorial Force

1/5th Battalion
August 1914 : in St Anne St, Liverpool. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
22 February 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 6th Brigade, 2nd Division.
15 December 1915 : transferred to 99th Brigade in same Division.
7 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

1/6th Battalion (Rifles)
August 1914 : in Princes Park Barracks, Liverpool. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
25 February 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 15th Brigade, 5th Division.
18 November 1915 : left Brigade and attached as Army Troops to Third Army.
26 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

1/7th Battalion
August 1914 : in Park St, Bootle. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
8 March 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 6th Brigade, 2nd Division.
4 September 1915 : transferred to 5th Brigade in same Division.
15 November 1915 : transferred to 22nd Brigade, 7th Division.
7 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

1/8th (Irish) Battalion
August 1914 : in Shaw St, Liverpool. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
February 1915 : transferred to North Lancashire Brigade.
18 April 1915 : transferred with Brigade to Highland Division; brigade retitled as 3rd Highland Brigade.
3 May 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
12 May 1915 : new titles adopted: 154th Brigade, 51st (Highland) Division.
17 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.
31 January 1918 : transferred to 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.

1/9th (Battalion
August 1914 : in Everton Road, Liverpool. Part of South Lancashire Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
13 March 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 2nd Brigade, 1st Division.
12 November 1915 : transferred to 3rd Brigade in same Division.
7 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.
1 February 1918 : transferred to 172nd Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.

1/10th (Scottish) Battalion
August 1914 : in Fraser St, Bootle. Part of South Lancashire Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
2 November 1914 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 9th Brigade, 3rd Division.
6 January 1916 : transferred to 166th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

2/5th Battalion
Formed in Liverpool in September 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
Landed in France in February 1917.
1 February 1918 : disbanded in France with personnel going to 2/6th, 2/7th, 11th and 12th Bns.

2/6th (Rifle) Battalion
Formed in Liverpool on 10 September 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
14 February 1917 : landed in France.

2/7th Battalion
Formed in Bootle in October 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
February 1917 : landed in France.

2/8th (Irish) Battalion
Formed in Liverpool in October 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
Landed in France in February 1917.
31 January 1918 : absorbed into 1/8th Bn.

2/9th Battalion
Formed in Liverpool in October 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 172nd Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
Landed in France in February 1917.
1 February 1918 : absorbed into 1/9th Bn.

2/10th (Scottish) Battalion
Formed in Liverpool in October 1914 as a Second Line battalion.
8 February 1915 : came under orders of 172nd Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division.
Landed in France in February 1917.
20 April 1918 : transferred to 55th (West Lancashire) Division and absorbed by 1/10th Bn ten days later.

3/5th and 3/6th Battalions
Formed in Liverpool in May 1915.
8 April 1916 : became 5th and 6th(Reserve Battalions.
1 September 1916 : 6th absorbed into 5th.

3/7th, 3/8th and 3/9th Battalions
Formed in Liverpool in May 1915.
8 April 1916 : became 7th, 8th and 9th Reserve Battalions.
1 September 1916 : 8th and 9th absorbed into 7th.

3/10th Battalion
Formed in Liverpool in May 1915.
8 April 1916 : became 10th Reserve Battalion.

25th Battalion
On 1 January 1917, the 44th Provisional Bn became 26th Bn TF. The 44th had been formed in 1915 from Home Service personnel from the TF Bns of the regiment.
7 May 1918 : landed as Calais as a Garrison Guard Battalion.
16 June 1918: came under orders of 176th Brigade, 59th (2nd North Midland) Division.

26th Battalion
On 1 January 1917, the 43rd Provisional Bn became 25th Bn TF. The 43rd had been formed in 1915 from Home Service personnel from the TF Bns of the regiment. It was placed under orders of 218th Brigade in 73rd Division.
29 March 1918 : disbanded at Kelvedon.

Battalions of the New Armies

11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers)
Formed at Seaforth on 23 August 1914 as part of K1 and attached as Army Troops to 14th (Light) Division.
11 January 1915 : converted into Pioneer Bn.
Landed in France on 30 May 1915.
27 April 1918 : reduced to a cadre. returned to England on 17 June and absorbed into 15th Bn, the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

12th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Seaforth in September 1914 as part of K2 and attached as Army Troops to 20th (Light) Division.
January 1915 : transferred to 61st Brigade in same Division.
27 July 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

13th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Seaforth in September 1914 as part of K3 and attached as Army Troops to 25th Division.
February 1915 : transferred to 76th Brigade in same Division.
27 September 1915 : landed at Le Havre.
15 October 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 3rd Division.
23 October 1915 : transferred to 8th Brigade in same Division.
4 April 1916 : transferred to 9th Brigade in same Division.

14th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Seaforth in October 1914 as part of K3 and came under orders of 65th Brigade, 22nd Division.
5 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
Moved to Salonika in November 1915.
Left Division and moved to France in June 1918.
23 July 1918 : attached to 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.
13 August 1918 : absorbed by 18th Battalion.

15th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Formby in November 1914 as Service battalion, part of K4.
November 1914 : came under orders of 105th Brigade, original 35th Division.
10 April 1915 : became a Reserve battalion.
1 September 1916 : converted into 49th Training Reserve Battalion in 11th Reserve Brigade.

16th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Hoylake in December 1914 as Service battalion, part of K4.
November 1914 : came under orders of 105th Brigade, original 35th Division.
10 April 1915 : became a Reserve battalion.
1 September 1916 : absorbed into Training Reserve Battalions in 11th Reserve Brigade.

17th (Service) Battalion (1st City)
Formed in Liverpool on 29 August 1914 by Lord Derby, in the old watch factory at Prescot. Has the distinction of being the first of the 'pals' battalions to be formed.
30 April 1915 : came under orders of 89th Brigade, 30th Division.
Landed at Boulogne on 7 November 1915.
14 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
16 June 1918 : attached to 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.
30 June 1918 : returned to England with 75th Brigade, 25th Division.
9 September 1918 : Brigade retitled 236th Brigade.
11 October 1918 : sailed from Glasgow for service in North Russia. Remained there until September 1919.

18th (Service) Battalion (2nd City)
Formed in Liverpool on 29 August 1914 by Lord Derby, in the old watch factory at Prescot.
30 April 1915 : came under orders of 89th Brigade, 30th Division.
Landed at Boulogne in November 1915.
25 December 1915 : transferred to 21st Brigade in same Division.
24 September 1917 : Battalion absorbed 16 officers and 290 men of the 1/1st Lancashire Hussars. This had previously been the VIII Corps Cavalry Regiment. Battalion became 18th (Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry) Battalion.
11 February 1918 : transferred to 89th Brigade in same Division.
14 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
19 June 1918 : attached to 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.
13 August 1918 : absorbed 14th Battalion and reformed.
19 september 1918 : attached to 199th Brigade in same Division.

19th (Service) Battalion (3rd City)
Formed in Liverpool on 29 August 1914 by Lord Derby, in the old watch factory at Prescot.
30 April 1915 : came under orders of 89th Brigade, 30th Division.
Landed at Boulogne in November 1915.
14 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
19 June 1918 : attached to 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division and absorbed by 14th Battalion.

20th (Service) Battalion (4th City)
Formed in Liverpool on 16 October 1914 by Lord Derby, in the old watch factory at Prescot.
30 April 1915 : came under orders of 89th Brigade, 30th Division.
Landed at Boulogne in November 1915.
8 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

21st and 22nd (Reserve) Battalions
Formed in Knowsley Park in August 1915 as Reserve battalions, from depot companies of the four City Bns.
1 September 1916 : converted into 67th and 68th Training Reserve Battalions in 16th Reserve Brigade.

Other Battalions

7th (Isle of Man) Volunteer Battalion
August 1914 : in Douglas, Isle of Man - the only surviving Volunteer Bn following the Haldane Army Reforms of 1908. A Service Company was formed in 1915 and posted to the 16th (Service) Bn. In October 1915, it was transferred to the 3rd Cheshires and was renamed the 1st Manx (Service) Coy. In January 1916, it was transferred to the 2nd Cheshires in Salonika.

23rd and 24th (Works) Battalions
Formed in May and June 1916. 23rd was established and remained at Prescot until eventually converted into 1st Labour Battalion of the Labour Corps on 28 April 1917; history of 24th obscure except that it had moved to Hereford by March 1917.

27th (Works) Battalion
History obscure. Possible a renumbering of 24th Bn.
1 September 1916 : converted into 106th and 107th Training Reserve Battalions in 24th Reserve Brigade.

27th (Home Service) Battalion
Formed at Sidestrand on 27 April 1918.

28th Battalion
Formed at Clacton about 22 June 1918 but broken up in early July to reconstitute the 17th Bn.

1st Garrison Battalion
Formed at Seaforth on 19 August 1915 and moved to Egypt in September 1915.

2nd Garrison Battalion
Formed at Pembroke Dock in November 1915 and moved to Egypt in March 1916.
After moving to Salonika, attached on 28 August 1917 to 228th Brigade, 28th Division.

3rd (Home Service) Garrison Battalion
Formed at Pembroke Dock in April 1916. Became 3rd Bn, the Royal Defence Corps in August 1917.

1st and 2nd Docks Battalions
Formed in Liverpool in August 1915 and in 1918 respectively; continued to work at docks in the city.

51st (Graduated) Battalion
Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 217th Graduated Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 60th Battalion of the Training Reserve and up to September 1916 had been the 20th (Reserve) Battalion of the Welsh Regiment. A training unit based at Fermoy, it was part of 195th Brigade in 65th Division. In March 1918 when 65th Division was broken up it went to 203rd Brigade of 68th Division at Yarmouth. By June 1918 it had moved to Benacre Park and thence to Herringfleet.

52nd (Graduated) Battalion
Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 233rd Graduated Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 75th Battalion of the Training Reserve and up to September 1916 had been the 12th (Reserve) Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment. A training unit based at Herringfleet, it was part of 205th Brigade of 68th Division. By June 1918 it had moved to Henham Park near Southwold. After the Armistice, the battalion went to Germany as part of the Army of Occupation on the Rhine.

53rd (Young Soldier) Battalion
Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 72nd Young Soldier Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 21st (Reserve) Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers. A basic recruit training unit based at Prees Heath, it was part of 14th Reserve Brigade. After joining the King's the battalion moved to Kinmel Park.