The Royal Militia of the Island of Jersey

The Royal Militia of the Island of Jersey
August 1914 : this regiment incorporated three full battalions of infantry, all based on the island.
March 1915 : one Company was detached and joined the 7th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles.
1916 : the Militia formed the Royal Jersey Garrison Battalion, which was taken over by the War Office in December 1916 and remained on the island.

During the First World War 6,292 Jerseymen served in HM Forces, of whom 862 were killed in action or died of wounds. During the war the Militia also provided part of the guard for the German POW camp at Blanches Banque at St Brelade. At the end of the war the Jersey Militia was demobilised and was subsequently was granted the Battle Honour 'The Great War 1914-1918'. Many thanks to Norman Wood at his unofficial Royal Militia of Jersey website for this information