The Highland Light Infantry

Battalions of the Regular Army

1st Battalion
August 1914 : in Ambala, India. Part of the Sirhind Brigade in the 3rd (Lahore) Division.
Moved to France via Egypt, landing at Marseilles 1 December 1914 (some weeks after the other Brigades of the Division).
December 1915 : moved to Mesopotamia.
January 1917 : left the Division and moved to the Tigris Defences.
September 1917 : attached to 51st Brigade in 17th Indian Division in Mesopotamia, where it then remained.

2nd Battalion
August 1914 : at Aldershot. Part of 5th Brigade in 2nd Division.
14 August 1914 : landed at Boulogne.

3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : at Hamilton. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Portsmouth. Moved in May 1915 to Malleny and in July 1918 to Haddington where it then remained as part of the Forth Garrison.

4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : at Hamilton. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Plymouth. Moved in May 1915 to Haddington, going on to Hawick in early 1917. Moved late that year to Wormit and in September 1918 to Arbroath as part of the Tay Garrison.

Battalions of the Territorial Force

1/5th (City of Glasgow) Battalion
August 1914 : at Garnethill, Glasgow. Part of HLI Brigade in Lowland Division. Moved on mobilisation to Dunfermline.
11 May 1915 : formation became 157th Brigade in 52nd (Lowland) Division.
26 May 1915 : sailed from Devonport for Gallipoli, going via Egypt (5-28 June) and Mudros (1 July), landing at Cape Helles on 3 July.
8 January 1916 : evacuated from Gallipoli to Mudros and arrived Egypt in February.
11 April 1918 : Division left Egypt, battalion arrived Marseilles 17 April for service on Western Front.

1/6th (City of Glasgow) Battalion
August 1914 : at Yorkshill Street, Glasgow. Record same as 1/5th Bn.

1/7th (Blythswood) Battalion
August 1914 : at Bridgeton, Glasgow. Record same as 1/5th Bn.

8th (Lanark) Battalion
August 1914 : at Lanark. Part of the Lothian Brigade, unattached to a Division and on Scottish Coast Defences. Seems to have been disbanded by May 1916.

1/9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion
August 1914 : at Greendyke Street, Glasgow. Part of HLI Brigade in Lowland Division. Moved on mobilisation to Dunfermline.
5 November 1914 : left the Division and landed in France.
23 November 1914 : joined 5th Brigade in 2nd Division.
30 January 1916 : left the Division and became GHQ Troops.
29 May 1916 : joined 100th Brigade in 33rd Division.

2/5th (City of Glasgow) Battalion
Formed in Glasgow in September 1914 as a second line battalion. Moved to Dunfermline by August 1915.
Was named 21st Bn between November 1915 and January 1916.
Moved in March 1916 to Danbury, going on to the Curragh in January 1917, Dublin in August, and back to the Curragh in November 1917.
Disbanded in Ireland by May 1918.

2/6th (City of Glasgow) Battalion
Formed in Glasgow in September 1914 as a second line battalion. Record similar to 2/5th Bn.
Was named 22nd Bn between November 1915 and January 1916.
Moved in March 1916 to Maldon and then movements as 2/5th Bn.

2/7th (Blythswood) Battalion
Formed in Glasgow in September 1914 as a second line battalion. Moved to Dunfermline by August 1915.
Was named 23rd Bn between November 1915 and January 1916.
Moved in March 1916 to Danbury, going on to Galway and Naas in January 1917 and on to Dublin in August 1917.
Disbanded in Ireland by the end of 1917.

No 2/8th Bn was formed.

2/9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion
Formed in Glasgow in September 1914 as a second line battalion. Moved to Dunfermline by August 1915.
Was named 24th Bn between November 1915 and January 1916.
Moved in March 1916 to Maldon, going on to the Curragh in January 1917 and on to Dublin in August 1917.
Disbanded in Ireland by the May 1918.

3/5th and 3/7th Battalions
Formed at home bases in March 1915.
8 April 1916 : renamed as Reserve Battalions at Ripon.
1 September 1916 : now at Catterick, 5th absorbed the 7th Bn. Also absorbed 6th Bn in July 1917. Moved to Edinburgh in September 1917 and to Bridge of Allan in December 1917 where it remained as part of the Forth Garrison.

3/6th and 3/9th Battalions
Formed at home bases in March 1915.
8 April 1916 : renamed as Reserve Battalions at Ripon.
1 September 1916 : now at Catterick, 6th absorbed the 6th Bn. 6th then absorbed by 5th Bn in July 1917.

21st Battalion
On 1 January 1917, the 9th Provisional Bn at Deal became 21st Bn HLI. The 9th had been formed from Home Service personnel from the TF Bns of the regiment in 1915. was at Sandwich in late 1917, Deal again in january 1918 and finally Ramsgate from May 1918.

Battalions of the New Armies

10th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under command of 28th Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.
Moved to Bordon and in March 1915 went on to Bramshott.
Landed at Boulogne 12 May 1915.
6 May 1915 : attached to South African Brigade in same Division.
14 May 1916 : transferred to 46th Brigade in 15th (Scottish) Division and amalgamated with 11th (Service) Bn to form 10/11th Bn.
1 February 1918 : transferred to 119th Brigade in 40th Division.
16 February 1918 : transferred to 120th Brigade in same Division.
6 May 1918 : reduced to cadre.
3 June 1918 : transferred to 34th Division.
16 June 1918 : transferred to 43rd Brigade in 14th (Light) Division at Boulogne and returned to England. Moved to Brookwood near Aldershot.
21 June 1918 : rebuilt by absorbing 22nd battalion and retitled as 10th Bn.
5 July 1918 : landed at Boulogne.

11th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under command of 28th Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.
Record same as 10th Bn.
14 May 1916 : transferred to 46th Brigade in 15th (Scottish) Division and amalgamated with 10th (Service) Bn to form 10/11th Bn.

12th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in September 1914 as part of K2 and came under command of 46th Brigade in 15th (Scottish) Division. Moved to Bordon and in March 1915 went to Romsey. Moved to Chisledon Camp (Salisbury Plain) in April 1915.
Landed at Boulogne 10 July 1915.
3 February 1918 : transferred to 106th Brigade in 35th Division.

13th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Gosport in November 1914 as a K4 Service Battalion and came under command of 97th Brigade in original 32nd Division.
10 April 1915 : became a Reserve Battalion and moved in May to Stobs. Moved on to Catterick in October 1915, going on to Leven in April 1916.
1 September 1916 : converted into 52nd Training Reserve Battalion of 12th Reserve Brigade at Leven.

14th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Hamilton in July 1915 as a Bantam Battalion. Moved to Troon.
September 1915 : moved to Blackdown and came under command of 120th Brigade in 40th Division.
2 March 1916 : absorbed the 13th Bn, the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
June 1916 : landed in France.
Early 1917 : ceased to be a Bantam Bn.
6 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
3 June 1918 : transferred to 34th Division.
17 June 1918 : transferred to 39th Division.
16 August 1918 : transferred to 197th Brigade in 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.

15th (Service) Battalion (1st Glasgow)
Often known by its original title of the Glasgow Tramways Battalion.
Formed in Glasgow on 2 September 1914 by the Lord Provost and City, with many recruits coming from the Tramways Department. Moved to Gailes.
May 1915 : moved to Prees Heath and came under command of 97th Brigade in 32nd Division. Moved in June 1915 to Wensleydale and on to Salisbury Plain in August. Adopted by War Office 1 July 1915.
Landed at Boulogne 23 November 1915.
3 January 1918 : transferred to 14th Brigade in same Division.

16th (Service) Battalion (2nd Glasgow)
Often known by its original title of the Glasgow Boys Brigade Battalion.
Formed in Glasgow on 2 September 1914 by the Lord Provost and City, with many recruits coming from the Boys Brigade. Moved to Gailes.
May 1915 : moved to Prees Heath and came under command of 97th Brigade in 32nd Division. Moved in June 1915 to Wensleydale and on to Codford in August. Adopted by War Office 1 July 1915.
Landed at Boulogne 23 November 1915.
22 February 1918 : became Pioneer Battalion in same Division.

17th (Service) Battalion (3rd Glasgow)
Formed in Glasgow on 10 September 1914 by the Chamber of Commerce. Moved briefly to Gailes on 23 September and then on to Troon on 13 October 1914.
Record same as 16th Bn.
11 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

Did you know you can download a complete copy of the history of the 17th Battalion?
Free of charge, care of Gutenberg: Record of war service

18th (Service) Battalion (4th Glasgow)
Formed in Glasgow on 26 February 1915 by the Lord Provost and City as a Bantam Battalion. Moved to Girvan and in May 1915 to Gailes.
June 1915 : moved to Masham and came under command of 106th Brigade in 35th Division. Adopted by War Office in July 1915. Moved to Salisbury Plain in August 1915.
1 February 1916 : landed in France.
Early 1917 : ceased to be a Bantam Bn.
23 September 1917 : absorbed HQ and two Squadrons of dismounted Glasgow Yeomanry and retitled as 18th (Glasgow Yeomanry) Bn.

19th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed at Gailes in July 1915 from depot companies of 15th, 16th and 17th Bns. Moved to Ripon in October 1915 and went on to Montrose in March 1916.
1 September 1916 : converted into 78th Training Reserve Battalion in 18th Reserve Brigade at Montrose.

20th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed at Ripon in October 1915 from depot companies of 18th Bn.
1 September 1916 : converted into 79th Training Reserve Battalion in 18th Reserve Brigade at Montrose.

Other Battalions

22nd Battalion
Formed at Deal on 1 June 1918 but absorbed into 10th Bn at Aldershot on 21 June.

1st (Reserve) Garrison Battalion
Formed at Fort George around May 1916. Moved to Maryhill in January 1918.

51st (Graduated) Battalion
Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 201st Graduated Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 54th Battalion of the Training Reserve and up to September 1916 had been the 14th (Reserve) Battalion of the Royal Scots. A training unit based at Cromer, it was part of 191st Brigade in 64th (2nd Highland) Division. Moved to Holt in November 1917, Thetford in April 1918 and finally Fakenham in October 1918.

52nd (Graduated) Battalion
Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 205th Graduated Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 56th Battalion of the Training Reserve and up to September 1916 had been the 12th (Reserve) Battalion of the Cameron Highlanders. A training unit based at Witton hall (Norwich), it was part of 192nd Brigade in 64th Division. Moved to Kelling in April 1918 and in October went on to Sheringham.

53rd (Young Soldier) Battalion
Up to 27 October 1917, this was known as 53rdd Young Soldier Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 9th (Reserve) Battalion of the King's Own Scottish Borderers. A basic recruit training unit based at Kirkcaldy, it was part of the Lowland Reserve Brigade.