The Hampshire Yeomanry

Also known as the Carabiniers

1/1st

August 1914 : Winchester, part of the 1st South Western Mounted Brigade.
Moved on mobilisation to Portsmouth defences.
By October had moved with brigade to Forest Row and then on to Eastbourne.
March 1916 : was split up:
RHQ and B Squadron joined 60th (2/2nd London) Division and landed at Le Havre 25 June 1916. A few days later RHQ joined IX Corps Cavalry and B Squadron joined XVII Corps Cavalry. Both rejoined regiment on 25 January 1917.
A Squadron joined 58th (2/1st London) Division. Landed at Le Havre 20 January 1917 and rejoined regiment five days later.
C Squadron joined 61st (2nd South Midland) Division and landed at Le Havre 25 May 1916; this Squadron also had a brief attachment in late May / early June 1916 to 1st Cavalry Division. Rejoined regiment 17 June 1916.
Regiment served as IX Corps Cavalry Regiment up to 25 July 1917.
25 August 1917 : dismounted and went to be trained as infantry.
27 September 1917 : joined 15th Bn, the Hampshire Regiment.

2/1st

Formed in October 1914 and remained in UK until May 1918 when moved to Ireland.
Converted into a cyclist unit in July 1916.

3/1st

Formed as a Third-Line training unit in 1915.
Remained in United Kingdom until until absorbed by 4th Reserve Cavalry Regiment in early 1917.