The Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry
official title of this regiment in 1914 was the
Lanarkshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Royal Glasgow and Lower Ward of Lanarkshire)
1914 : in Glasgow. Part of the Lowland Mounted Brigade.
Moved on mobilisation to coast defences at Cupar.
RHQ and C Squadron moved to Egypt, landing 22 June 1915. In October 1915, joined 52nd (Lowland) Division at Gallipoli, as dismounted troops. In May 1916 RHQ left the Division and moved to France, joining V Corps Cavalry Regiment. C Squadron left the Division 21 August 1917, joining XXI Corps Cavalry Regiment and later LoC Troops, in Palestine.
A Squadron joined 11th (Northern) Division on 2 June 1915, moving to 24th Division a few days later. Left to join V Corps Cavalry Regiment on 21 May 1916.
B Squadron joined 9th (Scottish) Division in France on 13 May 1915. Left to join V Corps Cavalry Regiment on 10 May 1916.
The Squadrons of the V Corps Cavalry Regiment were sent for infantry training at No 21 Infantry Base Depot at Etaples in August 1917. The Glasgow Yeomanry component (approx half a battalion) joined the 18th Bn, Highland Light Infantry on 23 September 1917.
Formed in September 1914 as a Second-Line unit. In March 1916, RHQ, A and B Squadrons joined 65th Division; in February 1918 they were absorbed into the 1st Reserve Cavalry Regiment, at the time in Ireland. C Squadron joined 64th Division, and was disbanded in 1917
as a Third-Line training unit in 1915.
Remained in United Kingdom until until absorbed by 4th Reserve Cavalry Regiment in early 1917.