A Command Depot was a military convalescent camp.
Sir Alfred Keogh, the Director of Army Medical Services, was highly concerned by the availability of beds in UK Hospitals. To increase these he established four large convalescent camps at Blackpool, Epsom, Dartford and Eastbourne. Early in 1916 it was decided to further refine the system by creating Command Depots for the rehabilitative training of soldiers too fit for convalescent camp, but not yet fit enough to be returned to unit.
|Depot||Accomodation for||OR space allocated to|
|Alnwick||40||5000||Machine Gun Corps 4500; Northern Command 500|
|Catterick (Hipswell)||120||5800||Royal Artillery 5300; Tank Corps 500|
|Catterick (Scotton)||100||5000||Western Command|
|Codford||New Zealand forces|
|Heaton Park||100||5000||Western Command|
|Knowsley Park||30||5000||Western Command 4000; Southern Command 1000|
|Perham Down||40||4800||Southern Command and Newfoundland Regiment|
|Perham Down RND Depot||40||1300||Royal Naval Division and Channel Island troops|
|Randalstown||40||3800||Irish Command 1300; ASC 1500; RAMC 1000|
|Ripon, North (1)||100||4000||Northern Command|
|Ripon, North (2)||40||3000||Northern Command|
|Ripon South||100||5000||Royal Artillery and Royal Air Force|
|Shoreham (London District)||100||500||Guards Regiments and London TF|
|Shoreham� (Eastern Command)||100||5000||Eastern Command 4500; South African troops 500|
|Sutton Coldfield||90||3000||Southern Command|
|Thetford||40||5000||Royal Engineers and Remounts 4000; London District 1000|
|Tipperary||91||4000||Irish Command 1000; Eastern Command 2000; Royal Artillery 1000|
|Ripon||800||Plus 50 Officer Cadets|
Depot was constructed on land that had been compulsory purchased
by Eastbourne Corporation from the Duke of Devonshire for
Council housing in 1914. Construction was supervised by the
Land Agent who had become the District Officer RE. The Corporation
laid on electricity and piped water. The
Depot comprised 110 huts laid out in lines A to G designed to
accommodate 2,000 men in three tiered bunks. There were also
11 brick buildings (entrance buildings, wash houses, ablution
blocks), a cook house, a post office (made out of an old railway
carriage), a gymnasium, a bowling alley and a drill shed. There
was a library of 600 books. Depot opened in June 1916 under the command of a Colonel Follet.
As well as Cavalrymen the Depot took South African Troops from
the SA Red Cross Hospital at Richmond Park, the maximum number
at any one time being 600 who had been casualties at Delville
On arrival at the Depot the soldier would be interviewed and examined by a medical board. The report of the board would govern his assignment to one of the four squadrons at the Depot. These were (in descending order of fitness) Red, Green, Blue and Yellow. The men wore a slide on the epaulette in their Squadron colour. The men were re-boarded every 14 days during their time at the Depot.
Red Squadron – fit to return to unit within 7 to 10 days
Green Squadron – fit for all training up to bayonet practice
Blue Squadron – fit for all training up to the assault course
Yellow Squadron – fit for all training up to exercise with telegraph poles.
Training was very varied. There were football matches twice a week as well as cricket, tennis, boxing and fencing with inter-squadron tournaments. The gymnasium was under the supervision of a Medical Officer and was well supplied with machines to allow weight training and rowing as well as the conventional vaulting horses and climbing ropes. Indian Clubs and bags containing 7lbs of gravel were also used in the gym. Gardening was highly encouraged with mowers, rollers and sprayers provided along side hand tools so that when the Depot closed there were 2,000 plants ready for bedding out in the Depot Nursery. Six soldiers manned a hand-cart fire engine with 1,500 feet of hose and chemical extinguishers as a camp fire brigade. The camp motto was “Hors de Combat” which was spelt out in the traditional white washed stones.
The Band of the 13th Hussars was stationed at the Depot to provide musical support as well as playing at Eastbourne civic functions. The bandsmen were all boy soldiers who were posted overseas as soon as they reached 18 years of age. The band also provided trumpeters to play last post at military funerals. Unlike at the convalescent camps soldiers at Command Depots were under arms so the Depot was also called upon to provide firing parties for funerals. Soldiers at the Depot had a concert party called “The Cavalry Command Cripples” which entertained at the many service hospitals in the area. In excess of 3,000 people visited the Depot open day. From September 1917 numbers at the Depot began to decrease and an Officer wing was opened. The Officers did not live in the Depot but were billeted in local houses. The Depot closed in December 1918 and was sold in January 1919.The huts were used by the Council for temporary housing until 1932 and a special school until 1936.
With thanks to Jock Bruce and Ian Smart for providing this very hard to find information.
Can't find what you are looking for? Run into a brick wall? Can't understand military documents?
Benefit from the Long, Long Trail's professional service, fourteeneighteen|research.
The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Naval & Military Press, the home of military history books on the web.
The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Battle Honours, the UK’s leading company offering battlefield tours, with the ability and experience to arrange tours for groups of all sizes.
Visit the Long, Long Trail's bookstore: The Dugout