A list of the various home depots and training locations of the Royal Engineers
|RE Unit or Depot||Depot location||Remarks|
|(1st) Reserve Battalion and Depot Battalion||Chatham||Organised on mobilisation in August 1914 but essentially similar to what had already existed at Chatham. Reserve Battalion (A to F Companies) trained new recruits. Depot Battalion (G, L and M Companies) received men returned from Expeditionary Force and also men enlisted for Tunnelling Companies, Special Companies and other specialist units|
|Billeting Battalion, later called 2nd Reserve Battalion||Chatham, late moved to Chattenden||Formed when original Reserve Battalion could no longer cope with numbers of recruits|
|Provisional Companies||Chatham||Formed when original Depot Battalion could no longer cope with numbers of recruits. Two Groups of Provisional Companies were formed: No 1 included G, L and M Companies and a new Provisional Bn; No 2 was made up of four new Provisional Bns. Additional J and Q Companies were added to No 1 in early 1918|
|Dismounted Training Centre. Formed 3rd Reserve Battalion in Jan 1918||Newark||Formed to help cope with flow of recruits into New Army units.|
|Dismounted Training Centre. Formed 4th Reserve Battalion in Jan 1918||Deganwy||Formed to help cope with flow of recruits into New Army units|
|5th Reserve Battalion||Christchurch (Bournemouth)||Formed in Jan 1918 from what had been the reserve Field Companies grouped in Southern Command. Abolished in October 1918 to make room for a new Bridging Training Centre|
|6th Reserve Battalion||Irvine||Formed in Jan 1918 from what had been the reserve Field Companies grouped in Scottish Command|
|Royal Monmouth Reserve Battalion||Monmouth|
|Royal Anglesey Reserve Battalion||Beaumaris|
|Mounted Training Depot||Aldershot|
|Special Brigade Depot||Withnoe (Devonport)||Originally called Special Brigade Reserve Company|
|Signal Service Training Centre||Woburn||Al;so established a number of other sites in the vicinity. HQ moved to Bedford in October 1917|
|Signal Service||Bedford "A"||Recruit Depot|
|Signal Service||Bedford "B"||Signalmen and Linesmen Depot|
|Signal Service||Bedford "C"||Operators Depot|
|Signal Service||Biggleswade||Air and Permanent Line Depot|
|Signal Service||Haynes Park||Riding, Driving, Saddlers etc Depot|
|Signal Service||Haynes Park||Switchboard Operators Depot|
|Signal Service||Haynes Park||Cadet Battalion|
|Signal Service||Hitchin||Draft depot|
|Signal Service Wireless Training Centre||Worcester||Moved to Fenny Stratford in August 1917|
|Signal Service Depot||Dunstable||Moved to Wellingborough in March 1918|
|Army Signal School||Dunstable||Army-wide centre for training signals instructors, under command of Signal Service Training Centre HQ, formed March 1918|
|Source: Work of the RE in the European War 1914-19. "The organization and expansion of the Corps"|
Can't find what you are looking for? Run into a brick wall? Can't understand military documents?
Benefit from the Long, Long Trail's professional service, fourteeneighteen|research.
The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Naval & Military Press, the home of military history books on the web.
The Long, Long Trail is pleased to recommend Battle Honours, the UK’s leading company offering battlefield tours, with the ability and experience to arrange tours for groups of all sizes.
Visit the Long, Long Trail's bookstore: The Dugout